[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Engine Life Expectations

Henri asked about engine life expectations and Dan Patzer answered:

 > I've been building BMW auto engines for 29 years and find the
 > small sixers capable of 150-200k miles.

I have a friend at work who puts close to 75 miles/day on his late-'80s 325.
He services it regularly, including changing the oil (petroleum, not synth)
at roughly 3000 mile intervals.  He now has nearly 210K miles on the original
engine.  I got behind him in traffic recently, and there wasn't even the
_slightest_ puff of burning-oil smoke coming from the exhaust as he changed
engine speed during stop and go driving.

When I first joined the digest, I asked for suggestions from high-milers about
how I could increase the chances I'd get lots of miles out of my new engine.
To summarize the responses: regular oil changes, and take care of problems
before they have a chance to cause _other_ problems.

I don't have the info to say how BMW would judge when an aluminum V8 has reached
its useful life, because I don't have a manual yet.  I think it's probably too
early to tell about the longevity of these engines because most of them are too
new.  BMW obviously believes they will last _at least_ 100K because they
extended the warranty on all oil-lubricated engine parts to that limit, once the
engine has had the DME and thermostat modifications.

Dan also talked about the tear-down of his wife's '85 732i, during which he

 > broke the cylinder glaze with a dingle-berry hone

I'd never heard one called that, but that's about as apt a description as
I've ever heard. <BG>  BTW, Dan, I saw a 732 drive by in Ft. Worth a few
months ago, and thought I must have mis-read the badge.  I'd only heard of the
733 and 735 models.  How long was the 732 produced, and how does it differ
from those two?

 Regards,
 Jerry
 Arlington, TX (30-Jul-96, 07:41)