[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Should there be a Recall?

>As we all know, the M42 motor in 91-93 318's have a design defect with the
>profile gasket in the engine, with routine failure occurring anywhere
>starting at 35,000 miles.  Repair prices have been quoted between $800 and
>$1000.  No recall has been issued as of yet.  My question is, what is the
>criteria for the government to force carmakers to do a recall?

NHTSA's primary concern is safety (National Highway Traffic SAFETY Admin.).
The point about dumping antifreeze on the road seems valid to me, especially
for what it does to the car behind and his windshield in the next rain.
There is an online form to make a complaint on the same page:
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/
and probably if enough of you take advantage and post the same problem with
the same risk, NHTSA can begin pressuring BMW to fix this.  Realise though
that this is going to cost BMW some really BIG bucks.  They'll i) fight the
recall tooth and nail, ii) pass on the costs of the fight, and iii) pass on
the costs of the repairs.  Because of the fight BMW'll put up NHTSA will
probably need more of a nudge.  There is already a fight with Chrysler about
some seat belt disagreements going on now.
- --
Pat Donahue
Vienna, VA
'91 /////