[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: tii questions <mech>

>1. When installing a new fuel injection pump toothed drive belt,
>   should the cogs of the Kugelfischer drive pulley be greased,
>   or should the belt be installed dry? If it needs to be
>   greased, what type is recommended?

Dry!

>2. What is the appropriate spark plug rating when running 9.5:1
>   compression with a 285 (or so) cam in an E12 head? The factory
>   spec for this CR is W175T30 (Bosch), but this is with the
>   stock cam. (This seems like an old numbering system, or is it
>   still used?) Previously I had 8.3:1 CR pistons, and ran Bosch
>   W8DC or NGK BP5ES. For the last year I ran Bosch WR9DC with the
>   low compression pistons and they worked fine, but I prefer
>   the NGK.

I would try the NGK BP6ES and if you have no problem with fouling, they
should be fine.  I've always found my tii's ran the best, particularly in
the city, on NGK BP5ES, but I've used the 6's on the track with good
results

>Does anyone know when the Kugelfischer pump was first used
>on a BMW? It seems like I read about this somewhere before,
>but the answer escapes me at the moment. The reason I ask
>is that almost all of my engine parts are stamped "72" (for
>the 1973 model year build), but the fuel injection belt
>dust covers are both stamped "69" (for 1969). I thought that
>the euro tii started in the 1971 model year and the US-spec
>tii's were built for the 1972-74 model year. Was there
>something like a 1970 2000tii, or was the factory just
>getting an early start on production of parts for building
>the '71 tii in 1970? (Or maybe I have a really rare prototype
>dust cover. Phil, want to trade me one of your coveted "turbo"
>emblems for it? ;-)
>Thanks in advance,
>
>- -- Fred Beck /// '73 tii /// Boston, MA

The first 2000tii's were produced in 12/69, so it's possible there's a
large supply of those plastic covers made in advance that were still being
used for the limited production 2002tii's even by '72.  Haven't checked the
date on mine though........  Nope, just ran back to the garage and checked
on the '72 which was stolen from me about 14 years ago and is in a state of
"repose".  It's upper cover is date stamped "69" and I know it's the
original piece.  That should be a good enough answer.

- -Phil Marx  BMWCCA #6021