[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 4 cylinder head code# for 2002

In regards to your question

>Question on the same project. I am also putting a 5 speed in the 2002.
>I know I need a shorten driveshaft based on the length of the tranny.
>I was wondering if the driveshaft from a 320i with a 5 speed would
>work, I already have this from the donor. I read an article in european
>car where the author stated he was lucky in this situation because
>his transmission came with a 5 speed driveshaft from a 320.

In the article, the text stated,

"I was fortunate enough to have a factory five-speed driveshaft supplied with
the transmission."

The driveshaft to use is a modified 2002 one. If you notice from the photos
in the article, the driveshaft is for a long neck differential. This
driveshaft has a sliding section that enables it to be used with either an
E21 5 five speed or a 2002 factory five speed. I probably wouldn't use a long
neck differential if I didnt own several long neck differentials with an
assortment of ratios.

It is my understanding that this article from 1993 is no longer available as
a back issue. I might consider re-writing the article for a web page or
something. Several of those old articles are currently being re-written and
re-photographed for a tech booklet for this years 2002 fest west.

Well, enough of my rambling.

Bren

btw.... the 118 head is from an earlier 1.6 or 1.8 liter car.