[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

driving under the yellow

<< Brian wrote:

 >...I have also noticed that very few of my fellow BMWCCAers respond to >the
 yellow flag on the 1st and last laps.  They go balls out begining to
 >end,trying to maximize their time at speed.  That is very frustrating >and
 irresponsible.  For what its worth.

 And I couldn't agree more.  I personally like to warm up my tires and
brakes,
 get to know the locations of the corner workers, refresh my memory of the
 track, and generally settle-in the first lap or two, and it's very
distracting
 to have fellow drivers, many or most of whom I'll later re-pass (my car is
 relatively fast, and in theory we're all at about the same level of ability
 since we're all in the same run-group), screaming up behind me right out of
 the box.  I'm not sure if it'll help, but I'd like to add my plea to
Brian's:
 could everybody calm down a little, especially run one, day one?

 Actually letting your car cool down on the cool down lap, BTW, might
minimize
 all these warped rotors/brake fade/lousy pad posts we get. >>

I agree with both of you.  I too on the first few laps want to let everything
warm up on the first lap or two.  Matter of fact I "drag" my brakes on the
first lap during the straights to get them warmed up.  During the yellow if
someone is filling my mirrors so be it.  If they're faster than me I'll let
them pass under the green.  If their slower then who cares.  On the cool down
lap I also do not use my brakes at all.  My goal is to make it back to the
paddock with out using my brakes.  I have over 1500 track miles on my M3 and
my rotors and pads are fine.

I've noticed over the years that their are more "boy racers" in the novice
groups than in the advanced groups.  I hope with with the increase in driver
skill there is a corresponding increase in driver maturity.  But then I could
be wrong.

cheers,

Marco