[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SI lights Response

Bob wrote:
   <snip>
  >	I've been driving cars since 1956 and have always changed the oil and
>filter every 3,000 to 3,500 miles. I am getting nervous. Think I ought to
ignore
>that last light and just go ahead and change the oil/filter? What do you pros
>say???

I say listen to the engineers in Bavaria who built the engines and
engineered the Service Indicator lights.  They are there and function the
way they do for a reason.  Modern lubricants are a bit better than they were
in 1956, as well as engines last longer than they did in 1956.  Of course
you have probably received just as many responses that say change the oil
every 3000 miles or else your engine will blow up tomorrow. Jiffy Lube has
used a Jedi-Mind trick to embed that into American minds. ;-)
You will probably find that the last green light will go out between 8500
and 9500 miles.  THEN its time for an oil change...according to BMW, that
is.  But what do they know. In then end, it's like Zymol vs. Meguiars...to
each his own.

Ron
1992 318is
64,000 miles, running well.  Going by the SI lights.