[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Chips and Stuff

Mike Donahue wrote:
   >I am also one of the skeptical ones concerning the true increases claimed
>by chip manufacturers.  During one of our club tech sessions, we were
>treated to a very technical discussion of maps and changes.  They also
>had a modified E36 M3 with chip, flowtech, exhaust and cams for us to
>see.  They also had the chassis dyno data all plotted out over the
>'stock' curve.  I suggested that since the cars were the same, expect
>mine was stock, that we test them back to back on the dyno.  They agreed
>and both were tested.  The modified M3 cranked out very nearly 300 bhp,
>but surprise, mine produced 260 bhp.  If I had slipped in the chip and
>then they tested it, they would have claimed a 20 bhp increase from the
>chip.

I THINK Mike is referring to the Authority Tech Session which was held a
couple of years ago, and I was there.  Pretty impressive.  If you have never
seen a high powered car on a dyno up close, it's some experience.  LOUD,
POWERFUL, and lots of car related smells! Big chains anchoring the thing
down, big fan in front blowing lots of air into the grill...you get the
picture.

Anyway, in all fairness to chip makers, at least Autothority, the owner did
state emphatically that although chips do produce HP and torque gains, that
quote:

 "Its not all about hp and torque...throttle response and driveability are
just as important".

As I mentioned a few digests back, my brother notices significant
differences in his 1993 325ia since the install of the Jim C chip.  Mostly
in the increased quickness of
response in the automatic tranny.  He constantly praises the chip.  Not so
much praise for the Authority-Flo-Tech, but he had 30 days to return it, so
I guess he liked it enough! If nothing else, the Flo-Tech gives it a VERY
nice intake growl.

Ron
1992 318is