[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Testing Tests

Matt wrote:
   >Dinan, fact or fiction?
>
>Before I installed a Dinan chip in my 87 325i, I had a top speed of
>about 80 MPH on the hill that climbs towards the Continental Divide
>on I-70 going east (around 11000 feet). After installing it, I have
>never been able to determine my new top speed because it is too fast
>for the road and traffic conditions. I accelerate easily past 80 now.
>
>This is a definitive test, in my book. It increased the top end quite
>a bit.

Sounds interesting, but we all must remember that when any "testing" is
done, all factors must be taken into account to get a 100% true, verifiable
comparison.  EX:

1)What was the approx temp. and humidity factors during BOTH of your tests?
  If it was hot/humid (thinner air) without the chip and cool, damp
("thicker" air),
  with the chip, that handicaps the chip test.
2)Any other mods in addition to the chip?
3)Was your car running in top tuned condition during both tests, or did you
change plugs, filters, etc ALONG with the chip?
4)Were you running 93 octane BOTH times, or just when you switched to the chip?

Maybe the Dinan chip did make that big of a difference, whos to say?
Just something to consider...

Ron
1992 318is
Bowie, MD