[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<02> electrical question

Hello fellow digesters and 02 heads,

I finished replacing my cylinder head last night and it started up and
appears to be running pretty good. My first question regards the wires
coming off the positive terminal of the battery. There are three wires,
the smallest seems to be for the a/c as it was broken one of the times
someone stole my battery about a year ago and it doesn't seem to do
anything. There is also a big fat wire that goes to the starter, and a
third (10 or 12 gauge) wire that broke sometime in my repairs. After
starting my car this came loose and everthing just died. I tred to just
wedge it in the terminal, but it just kept coming off. After trying to
get it to stay a third time, I heard some sizzleing and lifting the hood
I found that some plastic was melting. There is some kind of metal valve
thing coming off of the air pump and it was resting on the alternator and
at this point it started glowing. Is my alternator not grounded? I hooked
the wire back up to the timing chain cover, but it appears that this wire
may have also gotten a little fried. Anyway, I've found the right kind of
connector for the wire and I'm going to try again tonight. Any electrical
gurus have any advice?

Also, the broken air pump bracket that I have neglected for the last year
has wrought it's revenge. It has bumped/rubbed into the side of the oil
pan and I now have a small hole there. At least I have found the source
of my fast oil leak. Anyone have any experience with these instant weld
products that come in a tube? I only intend it to be a temporary fix
while I go get an oil pan (and air pump bracket!).

An A/C question: I have removed almost all of the behr a/c components. As
for the wiring, I would like to remove the entrie harness together. There
is (I think) a rely on the front right of the car, and two wires that
cross the car by the radiator. The red wire, as I mentioned before, stops
at the + battery terminal, but the black wire continues in to underneath
the dash where It connects to another relay. Can I take out this second
relay (or metal box or whatever it is)? or does it have another function
not realted to the A/C? Does anyone want this system? I would be willing
to work out some trade for a non-a/c center console.

Finally, when I remove the oil filler cap with the engine running a lot
of air is blowing out. I was hoping that a head job would remedy this,
but it is still present. Is this only due to the valves or could
something else like worn rings be causing this?

Well that's all the questions I can think of now. Thanks in advance for
any advice.

Gabe Mintier
'71 2002