[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New member with '85 535i

     From: "Thomas Gasser" <thomasg@domain.elided>
     Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 11:56:52 +0000
     Subject: New member with '85 535i

     Hello fellow bimmer fans,

     I just have joined your ranks in two ways.  I just bought the 85 535i
     on Monday and found the mailing list yesterday.

     First a few details on the car:

     1985 BMW 535i
     57,000 miles
     Charcoal Grey with small amounts of surface rust
     Auto transmission
     full power (I assume most or all were)
     Leather (see above)
     sunroof
     New tires
     BMW AM/FM/Cassette

     It seems to have a couple of minor problems

     1:  The Brake Lining light has intermittenly come on a couple of
     times.  Once when I was test driving it and once since I bought it.
     I have had a local gas station check the pads and they said they were
     very good.  There is a little brake squeal.  Reminds me of my Truimph
     TR-7 that had the semi metallic pads over heated.  Any Ideas?
     *************************
        You might want to look at the brake lining sensors, which plugged
     into the side of the pads, the sensors might be mis-aligned, or worn.
     *************************

     2:   What I assume is the attention light flashes when I start the
     car.  The heads up display is showing the brake light warning.  When
     I touch the brake pedal the first time, the warning lights go off.
     ************************
        I believe this is a feature, it is to make sure that all your brake
     lights are working.
     ************************

     3:  I can't figure out how to use the cruise control.  Or it is non
     functional.
     ***********************
        On my '86 325, pusing the stalk forward engage the cruise control,
     flick it back (toward the driver) to turn it off, and up/down to
     accelerate/decelerate.  There's a minimum speed required for the
     cruise control to work, I think it's 20mph.
     **********************

     4::  The power antenna does not fully extend.  It was a little stick
     on the way down but that seems better now.  Any tricks?
     *********************
        I'd wipe the antenna mast clean with dry cloth (to remove the gum
     from the mast), then apply some lubricant to it.

     2:  What things should be taken care of at 60,000 miles?
        You should have the timing belt replaced, if it's not already.
     This is very important.

     Happy Bimming

     Tan Nguyen
     '90 E34 535i