[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<e12> motor swap and combo's

I have the opportunity to purchase a good parts car for my 530i, and
it even has a good engine.  It is an '80 528i.

I have some questions on the engine/head combo's, power, parts, etc.
I believe the 528i engine in the parts car may be in considerably
better condition than the motor in my 530i.  Also, I was planning to
swipe the distributor, exhaust manifolds, and fuel injection from the
528 and put them into the 530.  Seems like, for all this work, I
would be about even to just swap in the entire 528i motor.  How much
work is it to swap all this?  Is there any benefit to the 530i motor,
perhaps with the 528i head, definitely with the 528i ignition and FI?

I have read that the 528i makes just about the same power as the 530i
with a smaller displacement, which means the engine has to be more
efficient.  Does it have a higher c/r?  Does anyone know the bore and
stroke dimensions and c/c volumes for these engines?  What kind of
fuel mileage do the 528i's of this vintage get?  can I bolt my AC
compressor from my 530i onto the 528 motor (very important in TX)?

Thanks for all the help.
Josh Karnes                                                 joshk@domain.elided
Renaissance Man                        http://www.tanisys.com/~joshk/home.htm
Tanisys Technology                                     http://www.tanisys.com
Austin, Texas                      '78 BMW 530i | '72 Datsun 240Z | IZCC #308
           *** opinions expressed herein are MINE, ALL MINE!! ***