[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Buying an E23

Andrew

Remember that this car is now over 10 years old.  Even BMWs need attention
after this time.  With any 2hand car, get as much service info as you can -
this will help when solving future problems with it.  Here is my experience
with E23s so far:

Engine

Basically the engines in these cars are very robust, particularly the bottom
end.  At that mileage, the valve stem seals might be a little hard, this
will be evident on startup with a momentary puff of smoke out the exhaust.
Idle control valve
air flow meter
cold start valve
injectors may be due for a clean
plate at the back of the head may be leaking oil
oil pressure switch may be leaking

Tranny

4HP22 autos have a problem with burn-out of the forward A clutch.  ZF have a
replacement part for this.  It might be a good idea if you can find out if
this work has been done.  In some cases it was a warranty replacement, but
yours may have been missed.

Other things going wrong with this vintage:

Brake pressure accumulator
Brake low or high pressure switches (on the same housing as the accumulator)
Failure of the HVAC system (behind the console - modules and/or switches may
need replacing - $800 USD) - make sure A/C and heating is working.
Heater control valve in the plenum chamber.

That all said - I still think they are a great car.  Drive it, if everything
works and it has a good service history you can refer to, do what you think
is best.

No doubt, even if everything is OK now, one or some of these things will
give you a headache.  But it doesnt matter what you buy at that age, all
have their individual problems.

Have fun

Steve Callaghan
BMW Club Queensland, Australia