[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <E36> Elec. Problem Help Needed!!! (brake light sensor)

   The problem was the OBC detecting a bogus "brake light out" condition...

   Well, this sounds just like what happened to my dad and he must of made
   several trips to the parts store (it didn't help that they listed the
   wrong bulbs for the car)... nothing he could do worked. He thought that
   the check-indicator (no OBC on this car) was just sensitive. So I got
   back from college and noticed that the 3rd brake light was out. I
   replaced it and never saw the problem again. Mind you, he's usually
   pretty sharp, but sometimes its the basic things that get ya'.

   Also, if you're having this problem, make sure that all the bulbs are the
   correct _wattage_ (not just size). Check the owner's manual and/or
   Bentley's just in case. The wrong wattage would affect the current draw
   of the light (which the OBC is measuring). For example, if the lights are
   supposed to be 10 watts each and you have three 7-watt bulbs in there,
   the total draw is 21 watts. When the OBC sees 21 watts, it would assume
   that only two 10-watt lights were working and that the third must be
   blown.

   John Maushammer
   325i '89