[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Why DIY During the Warranty?

Marco asked:

 > I just don't get it, why do so many of the digesters with  "new"
 > cars start taking the damn thing apart when it is still under
 > warranty.  I know that different countries have different warranty
 > set ups, and sometimes a dealer is 1 or 2 hours drive away, but
 > taking a dash apart or some of the other "projects" I've seen
 > people ask for help with would probably be done
 > faster/quicker/cheaper (FREE) if done by a dealer.

Probably some of these folks just enjoy understanding how their car's systems
work together, the satisfaction of doing their own work, and knowing that
they'll _do the job right_.

An example, (and not the only one I could cite): my car had a bind in one of
the cables that is used to adjust the dashboard vent airflow.  The dealer's
mechanic went into the dash via the glove box and replaced the cable.  Now
the glove box light no longer works.  Sure I can take it back and back and
back and back, but at some point the emotional cost of these hassles and of
time without my car, and of _real_ time wasted taking the car to the dealer
outweighs the benefit of the warranty "service".  Refer to the recent thread
by Phil Marx and me about dealer service.

 Regards,
 Jerry
 Arlington, TX (23-Jul-96, 20:02)
 '95 540i-6 spd