intend to do it again - only next time with a better understanding of the
risk involved and the precautions I must take. (FYI, for those who know the
Bridge, my accident was not at turn #5, but at turn #3 which is flag station
#5)

For those of you who responded to me directly, many of your posts were very
useful and it would be great for everyone else to read them if you are so
inclined.

One theme which was raised in a number of responses I received was a general
concern for safety at driving schools, in particular at Bridgehampton. I have
a feeling this is a touchy subject, but none the less one that might benefit
from serious discusion.

I am a novice so I personally can only speak from my experience which I have
already shared. Perhaps some of you out there can add your 02 cents worth on
safety issues, driver preparation, teaching guidelines, variations among
chapters and tracks, and the system in general.

In a previous post, Betty Lou Mcclanahan made this comment and asked the
following questions which I answer below:

 >>i was outraged to hear your chilling and heartrending story.
 for the benefit of those of us who have grave doubts about the safety of the
BMWCCA driving schools, would you kindly answer the following questions to
the digest?>>

 >>i)  how much skid pad or "car control" practice had you had
 before you began to lap at speed?  more particularly, had you ever executed
"in a spin, both feet in" before finding yourself in a situation where that
procedure might be needed?>>

Answer: None/No

Besides the Driver's Manual which we received in the mail, there was a
mandatory "Driver's Meeting/Safety Orientation" at the beginning of the
school where basic safety/track issues were addressed by the school
coordinator as well as awards given out to members.

Afterwards, there was a "Novice Parade Lap" where the beginners were taken
around with an instructor at slow speed for a few laps and shown the track
for the first time. After that, a Black run group (instructors-very fast)
went out with students as passengers. This was my first lesson at speed as a
passenger. The beginners Red group then proceeded to just over an hour of
classroom instruction where we were told about flagging, general safety and
operation of our cars, proper attitude, the peculiarities of the sand at
Bridgehamton and "both feet in" for off track events. After this we went
directly to our first run at speed.

>>ii)  is your car equipped with a roll cage?>>

Answer: No

I did notice many of the more advanced run groups had cars equipped with roll
bars.

 >>iii)  has an investigation into your accident been launched by your
chapter?>>

Answer: No

The chapter officials, instructors and members were all very helpful and
concerned after the accident. It was a genuine concern and I greatly
appreciate all the help I received.

Many students asked “what happened” but I don't believe any officials ever
did. An investigation or closer look at the program was never mentioned. In
fact, I was told that the school had greatly improved over the past few
years.  The general attitude was “very sorry, glad you’re alright, it
happens”. I guess this is true, but the real question is: could more have
been done to prevent it?

Sincerely,
Charles Harman