[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

sway bar noise

Thanks to all who responded to my questions re: racing dynamics sway bar
noise on the E36 M3.  The problem in this case was that the bolt which
connects the front left sway bar link to the strut tower had worked its way
loose - clunk clunk . . . clunk clunk. Tightened it up and noise was gone.
 Still rechecking periodically. :-)

In the meantime, I found a formula that seems to help the noisy nature of
these sway bars.  I wrapped two to three layers of teflon tape around the
bars where they meet the bushings.  That did not do the trick, but certainly
helped (probably in providing a thin layer of sound absorbtion - sp?).  So,
instead of removing the tape and greasing the bar, I decided to try greasing
over the teflon tape.  The tape seemed to absorb the grease.  So far, no
noises at all, not a squeel or thump, nothing.  Hopefully, the tape will hold
the grease longer than the bare bar.

I'll update on whether this continues to work.

Dan Martinez
95 M3