[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

H&R Springs

Hey Carl,

Wanted to thank you for the input on the H&R springs (2910s).  As you know, I
decided to try them first with the stock shocks since I only do occasional
events.  My observations are:

1.  The car is pretty low, lower than I anticipated, but certainly not
obnoxious.  It is most noticeable over the rear wheel wells where the tires
tuck up into the wells.

2.   The body roll is significantly reduced, now the racing dynamics sway
bars seem to work better in conjunction with the springs.  The car has gotten
back its refined feel.

3.  Are the stock shocks sufficient?  Maybe for the next few months while
Bilstein completes R&D on the shocks for this car.  You were right, the rear
shocks are probably at their maximum with these springs.  They seem to be
marginally adequate for the set up but I still want a bit of a firmer ride.

4.  I was pleasantly surprised that the ride really was quite smooth.  I,
never having installed firmer springs, thought that my teeth may be in for
jarring.  To the contrary, the car merely feels tighter, but not anything
like a buck board. :-)

5.  The understeer is all but GONE.  The car is as neutral as I like it (very
minimal understeer to warn me).  The turn in is significantly improved. :-)

Even my worst critic (girlfriend who loves the car as much as I do) did not
notice the difference in the ride but immediately noticed the reduction in
body roll.  Seems to be a win/win situation, but the front is low (around 6
inches ground clearance - 4.2 inches clearance with the M3 LTW lip spoiler
inserts - which I have)  this will take getting used to.  But so what!?  The
improvement in overall handling is worth the cost.

So I will wait until Bilstein completes their shocks as the Konis are a bit
pricy for what I am doing.  I hope someone in my area gets the H&R coil overs
as I'd love to ride in the car to see the difference, I am sure it is great.

All in all, I would recommend going with the H&Rs.  I'll update once the
bilsteins are in.

Again, thanks for your help.

Dan