[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V5 #15

>From: cshuster@domain.elided
>
>  I hope BMW is addressing this very serious problem.  Perhaps dealers
>  could report the indicated mileage at each service to BMW corporate, and
>  then make that info available to the public.  By looking at the reported
>  mileage by date, possibly suspicious data could be indentified
>  (particularly if compared with typical mileage profiles).

This may not work all the time. But it would catch dumb, one time
resets, where some takes the car in with more miles then the previous
trip.

Sometimes there can be sudden changes in milage. I used to own an
Integra and having 2 cars switched to driving my old RX-7. When I took
it into the dealership for the next 15,000 mile service the
representative came out to take a second look at the odometer saying he
expected the car to have 60,000 miles instead of 45,000.

The same is expected to happen to my BMW. I only drive it on the
weekends.  Because I moved to San Francisco my weekend driving has gone
down from a couple of hundred miles to a few miles per weekend (Don't
go to Santa Cruz/Carmel as often).

I hope BMW addresses this too because I hate to see people get taken by
unscrupulus scam artists.

Regards,

GP