[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: E28 trunk lock

Karl mentions..

>From: "Karl Zemlin" <zemlin@domain.elided>
>Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 07:38:42 -0500
>Subject: re: <E28> Trunk Won't Unlock
>
>There is a feature I stumbled onto long ago - which I never use
>- - but I think you may have found it as well.
>
>Since I never use it, I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I
>think you can lock your trunk by turning the key in either
>direction.  If you turn it beyond some point, you override the
>electric lock and must use the key to open it.
>
>Play around with the truck lock a little, and turn the key in
>both directions - and beyond the usual 1/4 turn (or whatever)
>to hit the electric locks.
>
>- --
>Karl Zemlin

The direction is clockwise - the reason being, there is also
a 'valet' key for E28's - which will NOT unlock the trunk, or
the glove-box. The idea being that you can lock the trunk
using the technique above (fully clockwise and remove the key
without centering the lock) - and a valet parking person can't
get in the trunk.. I use it all the time for exactly the purpose
it was designed for (I carry the valet key on my penknife ring).

Best,

Don Eilenberger
Spring Lk Hts, NJ, USA
deilenberger@domain.elided