[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

BMW Paint

<< What kind of crap are BMWs painted with these days??? >>

Not only bird droppings and insect droppings can mess up your paint.  The
worst I had was a wet maple leaf that fell on my trunk and then was "dried"
by the sun while still sitting on the trunk.  When I peeled the leaf off of
the car there was a perfect imprint of the leaf, every little *&^%$% detail,
etched into my clearcoat.  After about 2 days of using just about every
product I could think of I ended up using a VERY WET rubbing compound to
clean the mess up and then following up with Meguirs #7 and a good carnuba
wax.  (For you DIY'ers, DO NOT go directly to rubbing compound, start out
with the most mild "polish" you can find.)

My theory is the leaf had all sorts of exhaust goop on it from the nearby
freeway.  When the leaf fell on the car along with the acid rain found in the
Washington DC area a chemical reaction started and messed up the clear coat.

BTW the car had a fresh coat of wax on it.

MORAL-- do not park under trees.  I'd rather have the sun beating down on the
car than get another leaf imprint.

Marco