[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<e30> fuel system help!!

Hello all. Desperately need an answer for this question. Today, I changed my
transfer pump on my '84 318i. This was to cure a fluctuating idle problem,
which accompanied some routine symptoms, such as buzzing at the main fuel
pump. I am posititve that the old transfer pump was inoperative, b/c I made
sure that it was not working (ran wires from battery directly to the pump-
no juice). Anyway, I made the switch-

AND NOW: the engine doesn't run! (whereas it did formerly). I know both
pumps are operating now, as I can hear them buzzing away when the key is in
the ON position. I also know that fuel is going at least through the lines
to the fuel rail, as I unplugged that and started it for a split second-
fuel came out like water from a fast garden hose.

At points, the engine will crank and run for a split second, as if some fuel
is being sprayed, but then not continue. If I crank it repeatedly after
that, nothing will happen. One thing to note when the key is in the ON
position, before cranking- the 2 fuel pumps keep running, as if somehow, the
lines never acheive optimal pressure (at which point they should stop). Iam
going to check other areas tomorrow, like the cold start injector, but in
reality, I am stumped [I've fallen and I can't get up!]. Please, any help
would be appreciated, as I have no idea where to go next.

TIA,
Tony Lin

"Fight the good fight, finish the race, keep the faith." -2 Tim 4:7