[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Rolled my BMW at the Bridge and survived to post about it.

Rolled my BMW at the Bridge and survived to post about it.

Hello everyone. I'm posting to share my first driving school experience with
everyone in the hopes that others (especially newbies) will benefit from the
lessons I leaned and my ultimate misfortune. I also feel a need to tell my
story as part of the "healing" process.

Here's what happened:

I had the distinct pleasure of rolling my 1985 325e 1.75 times on turn #5 at
the Bridgehampton Race Track. First and most important is that my instructor
and I walked away (well sort of, I was taken away on a stretcher after my
door was cut off with the "jaws of life") with no more injuries than a cut on
my hand, some sand up my nose and a sore neck.

It was my first time driving on a track, my third run of the day and probably
my 17th time driving around that turn.  At this point in the lesson, my
instructor told me I was driving well and that my car and I were a good match
for my level.  As part of the learning process, he asked me to talk him
through this lap.

NOTE: In case anyone was wondering if I'm a cocky driver who thinks this is
all about "winning" or going as fast as possible - WRONG. My ego was
definitely checked at the gate. I was at the track to learn. I was given this
advice by people on this list and I took it seriously. I do have other
regrets which I'll mention later.

I staged and apexed properly but what happened as I exited is where it all
becomes fuzzy. The so called "cause" of my off track experience was DEBRIS ON
THE TRACK. The car before me had spun out and left sand/gravel on the track.
Supposedly there was a yellow debris flag out but neither I nor my instructor
saw it. All I remember is that suddenly I was heading straight for a HUGE
sand bank 10 feet directly in front of me.  My natural instinct was to avoid
it so I corrected to the right (mistake #1). The car went back on the track
and performed a text book shot across the track because of my over-correction
and sudden adhesion it fish-tailed left, I corrected again (mistake #2) and
then fish-tailed right which is when the momentum caused the car to roll 1.75
times to a sand bank which stopped the car and left us with my door facing
the ground at a slight angle.

We did the "are you ok? - are you ok?" took big sighs and waited for the
rescue crew. The crew was very professional. They checked to make we were
coherent and not hurt before they removed us from the car. My side took the
most impact. The roof was bent near my head and I had sand all over. I knew
my head hit the roof at some point. After checking us for general condition,
my helmet was removed and a neck brace put on immediately. My door was cut
off (now I know why it's called the "jaws of life") and I was removed to a
stretcher. I never saw the car.  The instructor walked away. Even though I
seemed okay, I took everyone's advice and went to the hospital for further
inspection. The doc decided I didn't need xrays (hope he was right) and I was
back at the track in an hour and an half.

According to my instructor and the driver/instructor behind us, I hit the
debris as I exited from the apex with a heavy load on my outside wheels. This
caused my car to slide and drift farther left at the exit of the turn. I
perceived that I was heading straight for a HUGE sand bank (everything looks
bigger and closer at speed). In fact, I was probably not entirely off the
track at that point but on the very edge of the pavement. The sand bank is
only 10 feet form the track at that point