[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<M3> MXX3 sidewall cracking

After returning from the BMW ACA driving school at Willow Springs a few weeks
ago I removed all the M3's wheels to clean off the break dust and detail the
wheel wells.
As I was scrubing the inside of the wheels I noticed some small cracks on the
inside of the tires where the sidewall ruber meets the meets the tread. On
three of the tires the cracks ran all the way around. Upon closer inspection
(probing with my finger) I found that in some places the cracks ran parralel
to the sidewall all the way to the rim. By pulling this side wall ruber away
the innner carcus of the tire was vissible. I could not figure out why the
tires were cracking this way. I guess the two compounds of rubber on this
particular set of MXX3s just didn't bond correctly. However It puzzles me
that the cracking happened on the inside edge instead of the outside edge
that appears to take the most abuse. As backround these tires are my second
set of MXX3s purchased from Discount Tire Direct, they are about 6 mounths
old and have aprox 6/32 of tread. I called Discount Tire Direct and they did
not really want to deal with the tires allthough they were anxious to sell me
a new set for full price. So I took it to an authorized Michelin Dealer (4
Day Tires) and they agreed to prorate them and replace them. They also
commented that this situation was very dangerous, especialy at high speed.
It's going to cost me $785 . Now lets just hope they can get the tires on
with out chewing  up the rims. (I have already had 9 rims chewed up just from
mounting tires. I am still looking for 3 replacement rims because the last
tire shop refused to replace the wheels they ruined.)

Anyways everybody out their with MXX3s on M3's keep an eye on your inner
sidewalls.

Juan Bruce
BMW CCA 95025
BMW ACA LA