[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> M42 engine hassle

Nice hot (75F) day here for a change, left the car parked in the sun
for a few hours. When I tried to start it the engine emmited a loud
popping sound and died. This happened once last year in similar
circumstances.

Problem is that a 30mm rubber tube at the top of the engine (breather
pipe?) pops of and has to be plugged in again. I'm told that two types
of injector have been used on the M42 1800 16V engine and that one
type is prone to this.

Last year the mechanic said that deposits get baked on the injectors
under the sun's heat (don't worry the story gets flakier) and when you
start the engine the back pressure from blowing of these deposits pops
of the breather hose. He mentoned backfiring and the fact this is a
known problem. Car is a March '93 delivery model 318iS Coupe.

Any thoughts? The local stealer says he'll give the car the once over on
Monday. Do I need new injectors under warranty? Car has only 38K miles,
no other problems, serviced 1.5K ago.
- --
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your
mouth in a meeting with the users and prove it." (Ancient programming proverb)

NB: As I am a gibberring idiot any views expressed here are NOT the views
of Stolt Comex Seaway Ltd. john@domain.elided, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland