[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: 85 528e corrosion in thermostat housing, front oil seal

I had to replace the thermostat on my '84 528e at about 190k
miles.  I noticed some superficial corrosion at the hose
connections, but nothing close to weakening the part.  I
smeared a little pucky-goo on the connections just to fill in
the pits when I put things back together.

I don't know nuthin' 'bout your front seal questions, or the
deeper part of your corrosion question, but I do know that my
528e (202K miles now) still runs like a top.  Oil consumption
is up to about 1 qt/1000 miles now, but no smoke is visible.

For most 528e's, 120K should not be close to too many miles,
but I think I'd steer clear of the one you saw.  Based only on
my gut feeling (and a leaking seal and metal parts corroded
through), it sounds like it could be a money pit.

- --

Karl Zemlin
zemlin@domain.elided
Indianapolis, Indiana