[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E39 540i

There have been several posts from buyers of E39 models who've had problems
with their new cars.

I took delivery of my E39 540iA in Munich in mid-June.  After driving just a
few minutes, we stopped to get something and while I was admiring my new
friend, I noticed a fluid dripping from the bottom of the car.  We went back
to the dealer (BMW Niederlassung Munich) where I found the person who had
introduced me to the car a hour prior.  I explained the problem and he
developed a panic-stricken look (as if they might have actually delivered an
imperfect product).  He called the service department and less than five
minutes later, my car was elevated in the service area (supported by
sheepskin-covered rubber blocks on the lift) being disassembled from below by
two technicians wearing starched white overalls and surgical gloves.  In the
interim, an assistant brought refreshments to us as well.  We were allowed
(encouraged) to watch the technicians work.

The service area had a tile floor and was spotless (looked cleaner than my
kitchen).  The technicians quickly determined that the dripping fluid was
condensation from the A/C compressor (and they showed me the comressor from
below so that I could see for myself).  They explained (in English) why the
compressor developed condensation, etc.  They also rechecked all the hose
fittings and fluid levels while they were there.  They reassembled the
undercarriage covers, etc. and returned my car to me.  They even thanked me
for allowing them to examine the car and verify that there was no major
problem!  The entire process took less than 15 minutes and I was not charged.

On the flight home a week or so later, I thought of a German family coming to
the U.S. to purchase a car - say a Cadillac Seville STS.  They get the car and
have a similar question.  First, they'd be laughed at for not recognizing
condensation (or just wanting confirmation).  Then, they would wait a couple
of hours in a hot uncomfortable waiting area.  Then, their car would be taken
to the service area buy a couple of union-member mechanics in oil-covered
overalls.  They would not be allowed to watch beacuse of the "liability" and
no explanation would be offered when the mechanics were done.  No one would
offer a coke while they waited.  No one would speak to them in German (and
certainly not the mechanics).  They would spend the better part of a day in
this undertaking and even having done so, there would be no real examination
of the car.

Now that I'm back and have been driving a rental car for a month awaiting my
540, I'm even more convinced that I made the right decision.  I can hardly
wait for it to get here.

Scott W. Yates, M.D.
swyates@domain.elided

97 540iA with H-K Stereo and CD player
96 Volvo 960 (borrowed from Hertz 'till my German rocket arrives)