[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

85 528e corrosion in thermostat housing, front oil seal

I am looking to buy an automatic 528e and while I was looking at a
1985 528e with 120k miles,the manifold preheater hose broke off the
thermostat housing.
The alloy inlet was completely corroded.....Is this the ominous sign
of cancerous corrosion throughout the cylinder head ? or a small issue
of replacing the thermostat housing ? There are visible signs of
corrosion at all the hose connections. Is cooling system corrosion
anywhere indicative of corrosion through out the system?
This particular car was also leaking oil from the front crankshaft
seal.I assume that this sort of oil leak is unrepairable because the
crankshaft seal has worn a groove into the sealing surface.I would
appreciate any realworld advice.Is there an oversize seal? Does it
work? Is 120K miles on an 528e auto probably too many
miles...generally speaking?

Sincerely,
henri baccouche
<henri@domain.elided>