[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <Misc> BMW Paint

>From: ullal@domain.elided (Samir Ullal)
>I have also wondered about the BMW paint quality. I have been in the same
>situation as you a couple of years ago when I first bought the car.  Now I
>have
>just resigned myself to the situation..............................
>>They really should do something about the paint quality if indeed it is
>lacking
>as I have often heard.
>Cheers,
>Samir

  I did not mean to imply, nor for you to infer, that BMW is the only
manufacturer with paint subject to acid rain or environmental fall-out
damage.  Look at the transporters carrying just about any brand of new
vehicle, Nissan comes to mind, and you will see plastic sheets covering
horizontal surfaces to insure that arrival at the dealership is
paint-damage free.  This is rather short sighted in that damage can occur
the first day at a dealership given geographic and seasonal variables, but
in most cases if the manufacturer delivers the vehicle to the dealership
damage free, anything that occurs after that is not considered a
manufacturing defect (at least without a whole lot of whining).  VW/Audi
used to claim the paint was just packaging and not actually warranteed.
During the '70s when BMW was buying metallic repaints like toilet paper,
VW/Audi refused to consider crazing clearcoat as a warranty problem, even
though the metallic paint "packaging" was an option costing over $300.
  I have tried most waxes and plenty of "high-tech" paint sealers claiming
to prevent A/R damage with no positive results worth mentioning.  My
inventory now lives under cover.  Remember, at least in the east,
June-August are the worst times and a good car cover, like DuPont Tyvek=AE
(1-800-44Tyvek) or whatever your favorite material is, is really your only
defense. Washing with "city water" as opposed to well water in some areas
is recommended, or get an acid neutralizer for your water system, which is
what us country bumpkins do here in the sticks.  And if the car is black,
all these precautions apply twice as there is definitely a temperature
coefficient involved in the process.  The best solution is to find a 2002
with original, non-metallic paint and cherish it forever.

- -Phil Marx  BMWCCA #6024