[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<MISC>RE: Slotted vs. Drilled -- Recommendations?

     From: ghaines@domain.elided (Gordon Haines) Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 12:20:27
     -0600
     Subject: Slotted vs. Drilled -- Recommendations?

     Does anyone have direct experience with slotted vs. drilled rotors
     and/or recommendations on such?  Thanks in advace.

     Gordon

     I know a guy who ran cross-drilled (radially vented) front rotors on a
     hopped-up VW.  On the track the heat proved to be too much and they
     cracked.  I have heard of other instances of this occurring, on cars
     ranging from VW's and BMW's to Audi's and Porsche's.

     My brother has a mean Scirocco with SLOTTED front (radially vented)
     rotors and cross-drilled (solid) rear rotors. Metal-masters fr&rr.
     This thing is light and fast, and will out-brake any street car that I
     know of - it feels like the skin on your face is about to peel off !!

     Anyway, he claims a marked improvement in braking with the slotted vs.
     unslotted fronts, and a large decrease in rotor/pad wear. He slotted
     them himself. The rears, solid cross-drilled, did not make as big of
     an improvement. His car sees/has seen a lot of track time.

     I plan to slot the next set of front rotors on my car. I'll post the
     findings when I subject the setup to several track events.

     Bob T
     '90 M3