[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: European tags

>Just to set the record straight, all european tags i know of DO NOT
>USE validation stickers.  In same cases, like Italian plates, they are
>issued by the government, and have some sort of "watermark" on them
>(like the film over your passport picture), others, like French
>plates, only have to follow certain standards, and you can get them
>done wherever you like, as is the case - I believe - with UK plates.

O.K.  I could accept that those Germans are more sticker and stamp
happy than most.  I visited a Notar(y) a few weeks back to guarantee
my signature.  He created such a splendid display of colored string,
(synthetic?) wax and pressed seal (with microchips?), I was half
tempted to ask him to make me another.

If you are trying for authenticity, it sounds like a lot less work
faking a car from someplace _other_ than Germany.  If a German car is
to be pharisee-pure, it is supposed to have:

  - a safety inspection sticker (back plate)
  - a registration sticker (front plate)
  - a ozone sticker (right front windshield)
  - a light test sticker (center top front windshield)

A lot of people don't bother with the last two, but I would.

Yes.  I think someone is going to be a royal pain in the neck when he
visits the European Delivery people on Monday.

- -John
'96 318is (from Monday :)

- --
John Firestone, Alfred Wegener Institut   jfiresto@domain.elided
 fuer Polar- und Meeresforschung             +49 (471) 4831 363
Postfach 120161, D-27515 Bremerhaven          ..  ...  .... 149 (fax)
GERMANY