[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

CC vs MM.....Real world brake tests.....

     Regarding the thread titled "Cool Carbons are RACING BRAKE PADS
     Metalmasters are STREET BRAKE PADS":  I have used cool carbons in my
     modified 93 325is with great success on the track and the street.
     They lasted for a total of 7 track days @ Bridgehampton and 12,000
     miles of street driving (they do squeal under light pressure when cold
     so I just brake later and harder on the street).  I had no problems
     with the rotors but I did boil the brakes twice which forced a change
     to super blue brake fluid and braided brake lines.  THe stopping power
     of the Cool Carbons are remarkable.  I changed over to Repco
     Metalmaster pads before a two day track event at Watkins Glen on 7/10
     and 11 with dismal results.  The brakes lasted the full two days at
     the Glen (admittedly a tough track on brakes), barely, but were
     completely beatup.  When I took the pads off (there was a grinding
     noise coming from the front) the pads were literally coming apart (you
     could break big chunks off with your finger) and the rotors were
     scorched and blued badly (no warping though).  New pads didn't help
     and I think I will have to change the rotors.  I think the cool
     carbons are a better choice if  you are going to run any track
     sessions with your car, the metalmasters are not up to task.