[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: e34 wheel post

Rodd Sidney was kind enough to furnish me the part numbers for the wheels he
his selling.  He still hasn't said whether or not they have the older, less
favored turbine style covers or the newer, much more highly regarded "twisted
star" covers.  Since no mention was made of tires, presumably none are
involved.  Plus, I don't have an opportunity to view the part numbers stamped
into the wheels, so I can only take Rodd's word on the part numbers he
supplied.  But this whole exercise shouldn't even be necessary if he had been
more candid in the ad I challenged.  In the interest of fairness, however, I
will check my parts film this weekend and then post my findings.  Sadly, I
already know the result of this exercise:  the ad was still misleading at best
because surely Rodd knows (or should know since he is in the parts business)
that alternative (and updated) part numbers have been assigned to these
wheels, and the fact remains that he also failed to describe what he was
selling (i.e., which covers?).  To me, this smacks of gross disregard for
those reading the Digest ("uh - I bet there's some suckers out there
somewhere").

I personally don't have an objection to some limited commercial advertising on
the Digest if it is honest and not misleading.  I am not worried about my
reputation on this one because his ad was clearly less than candid.  If the
purpose of this Digest is for members to help other members by sharing useful
knowledge, then I would have failed my duty to fellow Digesters by NOT
pointing out that is was possible to buy NEW, identical rims, for close to the
same, or in the case of the twisted star style, less money than he was selling
used rims for.  One need only look at the current BMW Accessories catalog to
get the current part number for the M5 wheel with the twisted star cover.
Sorry, but you won't convince me that the Digest needs this type of misleading
commerical advertising.