[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: possible clutch problems

>I have a 1991 318is that experiences severe clutch "chatter" (ie.,
>bumping, vibrating, etc.) when stuck in prolonged (>10 min) stop and go
>traffic.  At all other times, the clutch seems quite healthy.... and ...
>A number of people with E30's experience this. I know I get it
>sometimes in my '89 325i. Only on HOT days, only after some stop and
>go traffic.

Just a thought.  As underhood and slave cylinder temperatures climb air
and moisture in the hydraulic fluid could be doing an expanding thing and
causing problems.  Has anyone who has experienced this changed the brake
(and clutch) fluid and still had the problem?  Bleeding the clutch would
be _most_ important for this case.  (Hmmmm, the bleeder on the clutch
slave is on the bottom where moisture _would_ tend to sit...)

- --
Pat Donahue
Vienna, VA
'91 /////