[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

M2002 teething pains

Okay fellow bimmerheads, I have a problem which will unite the '02 faction of
this list with the Motronic faction.  As some of you may recall, I've been in
the process of installing an '89 M3 engine in my '76 2002.  As recommended
by Pete McHenry (the guru of this conversion), I've installed an'84 prepump,
a tii main pump, and am feeding gas through the steel line under the driver's
side of the car.  The old plastic feed line for the carborated engine is now
the return.

My problem is this: tonight, with much anticipation, the install was finished,
the coolant system was filled, and the ignition was cranked.  The engine cranks,
but won't run, and we can't smell any gas at the header, indicating,
that fuel delivery might be a problem.

I have spark (checked at the plug wire), the injectors are getting
a signal (determined with a tester at the electric delivery rail), the coil gets
12V, and if I shoot starter fluid (ether) I can get the engine to run as long
as I keep shooting ether in the intake manifold.  Also, gas is being
delivered to the fuel rail.

Any ideas as to where I should start looking?  I'm going to check the fuel
pressure next week.  Since there are no apparant fuel leaks in the system,
I'd suspect the tii fuel pump if the pressure reads below 45 psi.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I can't wait to road test
this baby, although I guess an extra week of trouble shooting isn't going
to kill me after the months it has taken to (almost) complete this project.

Thanks EXTREMELY alot in advance,

Ian
'76 M2002 (really almost)