[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 32/36 Weber/SMOG pump in CA, 02

> From: Rick Paulin <paulin@domain.elided>
> Date: Fri, 13 Jan 95 6:49:40 PST
> Subject: 32/36 in Calif.
>
> Greetings,
>
> I'm a little curious what all the discussion regarding the Weber 32/36 carb in
> California is about. When California began the smog program a number of years
> ago (which forced me to remove the dual sidedrafts, header, and mechanical
> advance distributor, bah-humbug), I replaced them with the 32/36 DGAV Weber
> carburator and a K&N air filter about 5"x8". I have the hose from the valve
> cover feeding back into the air filter (which it came with the adaptor), and my
> car has passed the smog inspection ever since. I'm not taking it to
> questionable mechanics doing it on the side, but have taken it to a number of
> places which are quite reputible (sp?). I didn't even have to put the air pump
> back on the car, and the referee approved the whole set-up years ago after he
> made me make the changes. I'm not sure what an "open K&N air filter" is, but I
> don't have the original one on.
>
> Regards
> Rick Paulin
> 74 2002

Rick,

Since you are bit curious about this, here it goes.
Research from a couple of the list members have found out that there
is one particular model of the 32/36 carb. that is legal for CA.
The basic rule in CA, is that you can only change anything behind the
CAtalytic converter to be **STREET LEGAL**.  For any equipment,
before and including the CAt. conv., the aftermarket manufacturer
has to get an exemption # for that equipemnt (i.e. peformance chips,
MSD ignition unit, and in this case- the weber carb...all of these
parts to have the exemption to be STREET LEGAL in CA).

So it looks like WEBER has ONE specific 32/36 for California.  I'm
sure it costs lots of time/money for each exemption.  Who knows,
this carb. may have certain jets to meet the exemption.  So even
though there may be many different variations of 32/36's, only
one is TECHINCALLY legal.  But heck, they ALL look about the SAME.

I also would like to point out that not having a SMOG pump for the
'74 is definitely illegal.  I believe the technician made a MISTAKE
by overlooking it in the smog requirements (typically the stuff
is EGR, smog pump, etc...listed right on the computer screen of
the smog machine).

As for open air cleaners...I mean where you can "see" the filter
element.  All I know is that my K&N box (has filter and housing)
says it's illegal in CA for Street use.

Personally, I say screw the nit picking "visuals".  It's the tailpipe emissions
that count!  Obvious things like venting gas vapors/breather pipes
to the air doesn't seem too environmentally friendly and therefore
should be connected correctly  but modifications like the carb/distrib/headers
should be allowed if you can PASS the EMISSIONS test.

- -Stanley Phan
'72 2002  (Ah..NO SMOG Pump and CA legal!  My year escaped!)