[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E30 325i seats, Harnesses, etc.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on relocating, if possible, the stock seats in
an E30 325i 2-door with sunroof. Why you ask? I am 6'7" (250 lbs) and at my
first (of many, I hope) drivers schools last fall I was having helmet to roof
liner problems. I run my seat all that way back and with the height
adjustment all the way down. In order to have enough headroom clearance with
the helmet I have to rake the seatback more than I would like-making the top
of the steering wheel a bit of a reach. A little more leg room would be
appreciated as well, as I can get into knee-to-hand on steering wheel
clearance problems when making tight turns.

If it would be possible to lower the seat an inch or two, and put it back an
inch or two, that would be great.

The other alternative is to go to an aftermarket seat and mounting system.
Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket systems which provide more
seat travel and a lower seating position? Does Recaro, etc offer seats which
REALLY fit big people AND small BMW's?? A smaller diameter steering wheel
would help some to, but I'm worried it will cut off the view of the top of
the Tach. Any experience with this ? Is the 3 spoke wheel out of the 325is
smaller? I see them used in the Roundel ads....

Another alternative is a used 750iL  ;-)

My wife bought me Schroth 4 pt harnesses for Christmas (I am a lucky guy!). I
plan to mount the tail straps to the rear seatbelt pickups. Anything to watch
out for in this installation?

Thanks for your help,

Bob Tatterson
1989 E30 325i 2 door, 40K
1985 Civic Hatchback, 90K <---winter beater (also has more headroom!!!)