[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: intermittent cruise control

  I can't explain why the cruise may disengage and a fault
  not be displayed on the overhead display.  Let's just say
  it's happened to me in the past.  My experience was with
  intermittent display of tail or license (I forget which...)
  lamp failure on the overhead display *and* (was it at the
  same time?) intermittent failure of the cruise control when
  going over a bridge expansion joint of just the right size
  (not all bumps provoked the cruise control failure).  The
  item to note in my previous posting was that the corrosion
  could occur *inside* the license the license plate lamp
  holder *inside* the little slot that holds the clip into which
  the bulb mounts.  On my former vehicle this part was corroded
  through - but - since it was in a location where the metal
  folded back on itself, the connection was usually complete.

  Another thing to check for, is the connection on the backside
  of the instrument cluster.  If I recall correctly, it's the
  at the lower left corner (as viewed through the cluster - x-ray
  vision).  Sometimes the locking tab (presses against the connector
  so it won't loosen) gets snapped off by people when they remove
  the instrument cluster and can't see back there and force things
  a bit.

  Now can anybody explain what's inside that almost battery-sized
  black box under the left side of the rear seat in an E34?  The
  battery itself is under the right side...

  Thanks.

- -- Peter