[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: opinions wanted on 1981 528i

> >Anyway, I don't now own a BMW, have always wanted a 5 series, have
> >always resisted the urge, but now am faltering.  I have the opportunity
> >to purchase a 1981 528i in excellent condition, with all maintainence
> >records, and 155K on the odometer for about $3K.  I like the older
> >models, and this one appears to be in fine shape.  My questions are
> >basically these:
> >
> >        1) Is this a fair price for the vehicle.  My NADA price guide
> >           goes back only to 1987, listing the average retail of a
> >           528e at $7775.  Price sounds right for an '81.

That sounds like a decent price, provided that the body is in very good
shape, and it is mechanically sound.

> >        2) Being inherently ignorant of the BMW marque, is there an
> >           overriding reason not to buy a 528 or a 1981 model?  Are
> >           the next generation vehicles that much better?

The 528i is actually a good used car buy, provided that the particular
one you're interested in is in good shape.  The newer ones were improved
in terms of comfort and performance, but they also had more gadgets to
break, etc.  See below.

> There are several differences between the newer e28 5 series cars and the
> older (e21?).  I can't remember everything but heres a couple biggies:
>
> The good:
>         - e28 body/chassis is stiffer, I think a bit lighter
>         - Interior design is different, more modern (not better IMHO)

The E28 has much better seats, IMHO.  The E28 also had an automatic
interior temperature control.  As well as the electronic gadgetry.

>         - Rear suspension on e28 got the "Track Link" which helps tame the
> tail               happiness some (I guess)  Also changes to the geometry.

'83-up E28s (the '82 528e had the older style suspension) had the Trac-Link
added to the rear suspension, to shift the roll center under compression,
to reduce jacking while cornering.  This was added in conjunction with
a reduction in semi-trailing arm angle from 20degs to 13degs, to reduce
camber change.  Net result was better behavior from the rear suspension.

>         - Front suspension on e28 has the "double pivot" design from the 7
> series.  This is supposed to reduce front end dive during hard breaking.

As well as improve steering feel.  This brought with it the "upper"
control arms, with the bushings that go bad and can cause shimmying
under braking, etc.

Stock, the suspension on the E28s is also noticeably firmer than the E12s.

>         - Improved rust protection around trouble areas

Definitely.  Although watch out for gas tank rust on both of
these cars (they use the same gas tank!).  For some reason, BMW
left the space above the gas tank open to dirt, salt, and water
kicked up by the right rear tire.

>         - the e28 "i" cars are much faster

I don't know about much faster.  I don't think my friend's '87 535is
is faster than the 533i we have, and the 533i is not all that much
faster than a properly running 528i.  Then again, the 533/535 seems
to be setup from the factory to run really lean, and with conservative
ignition timing.......

> The bad:
>         - e28 is stuck with the TRX rims/tires (yuk!)
>         - e28 has more electronic gizzmos that can (and do) fail!
>         - the cheapest e28 I've seen lately goes for around $5k

High mileage examples can be found for less, especially 528e's.
But there are a few things that can go wrong on the high mileage cars,
and can be expensive to repair.

> There's probably lots more stuff that others could add to this list.  If it
> was me, on a budget, I'd jump on the 528 if it was clean and the
> mechanicals checked out. $3k sounds about right.

For regular use, the 528i is a nice car; dependable, relatively easy
and inexpensive to repair/maintain, comfortable, and good performance.
Find/read the August 1991 Road & Track Used Car Classic article on the
528i.  Lots of good info there.

Hope this helps,
Ben