[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 325e parts

> plain *SCARY*!  Did I read correctly?: $700 for a *muffler*?  You could
> almost get somebody to custom-bend an all-stainless-steel pipeset for you,
> and then fit the muffler of your choice to it, for that much money!!
> (BTW:  I assume that since stock parts are so expensive, it is common
> practice to go ahead and buy high-performance custom exhaust systems
> instead.  Is this a valid assumption?  I'll be needing to do that in
> another year or so...  :-(

For your car, you can get a genuine original fits perfectly and
flows well, quiet rear muffler for around $200.  Aftermarket
replacements can be had for around $150.

> - -Fan clutch (sometimes overheats on prolonged idle)

Can be had for around $70, shop around.  Join the BMW CCA (hey, I
gave you that application! :) ) and look through the Roundel.

> - -Catalytic convertor (VERY stinky.)

More a tuning problem than a converter problem, I think.

> - -5-spd Trans. (for reference)

Usually around $500 used.  Actually, right now, there's an '83 528e
sitting in the U pull it junk yard up in the Chicagoland area,
I'm sure that tranny could be had for ~$200.  I'd worry more about
the clutch than the tranny going bad/wearing out.

> - -Console-mounted audio cassette boxes (mine are trashed)

About $70 from the dealer.  It comes as the entire console unit.
If only the boxes are bad, you may be able to get those seperately.

> - -High-performance/low priced custom exhaust systems.

The only thing you'll gain here is extra noise.  The e cars don't
rev/breathe well enough to need more exhaust than stock.  In most
instances, BMW did a good job with their exhaust systems.

Hope this is useful,
Ben