[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

325ix query

I ran across a 1989 325ix, 2 dr, 5-speed for sale the other day.  It is
the base model without the sport interior (no nice seats, no computer,
etc.).  It does have cruise control.  Anyway, it has about 75K miles,
and runs just fine.  It needs 1) timing belt replacement, 2) brakes
(pads and rotors) real soon, 3) rear muffler mount(s), and 4) fixing of
some substantial rust on bottom lip of trunk lid (kind of surprising),
5) there is some oil seepage from engine.

So the car is not perfect, but I might be able to get a pretty good
price (south of 10K).  They seem to be pretty rare and sought after in
some parts of the country.

My questions are:

1) Is there anything in particular to be aware of when looking at one of
these cars.

2) What is a reasonable price on such a car?  Perhaps what I think of as
a good deal is not such a good deal.

3) How much harder than the usual E30 are these cars to work on?  Things
are a little more crowded underneath.

4) How many of the parts are interchangeable with other E30 cars.  I
note that the struts and many of the surrounding bits are different (not
surprisingly).  I know the wheels are different.  How about brakes?

5) Is the rear end limited slip?

Thanks,

Hank Farber
farber@domain.elided