[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ice Time Trials *safety*

Matt BenDaniel writes,

"Q - Are there risks to my car?"

Actually, there are.  Over here in upstate NY, we have two very active
ice-racing clubs.  For years there had been no serious accidents, however
lin the past two years we've had SNOW.  One of our good friends prepped a
Horizon for ice racing and rolled it in his first event.  This happened
to more than a few folks - novice & experience alike.  Why?  If/when the
car starts sliding sideways, it'll build up a bank of snow alongside your
two wheels.  Once that pile amounts to more than, say, 6 - 8" , there's
a real threat of roll-over.  At low speed events on well-plowed courses
this might not ever happen, but there'll always be the yahoo who'll go
nuts, see the red mist, roll the car, THEN holler at you because you said
this event wouldn't be abusive to cars.

Ice trialing is easier on your car than, say, driver's schools...but no
driving event is risk-free.

To all you potential participants:  I've heard REALLY good things about
this event - well-organized, well run, and lots of fun.  (this is the
Stuart Parker Memorial event, right?)  A great time for a worthy cause.

- --allison welty