[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V2 #156

From: AMIRZBED@domain.elided (amir zbeda)
>Subject: bmw modification
>
>I own a 94 325ic that I would like to modify.
>
>I would like some help regarding the aftermarket parts.
>
>is a Dinan chip any better than the Autothority?

Although Dinan seems more "popular" than the Autothority chip, I have
a Dinan vs Authority article for the E30 M3.  In all tests, the Authority
chip outperformed the Dinan chip.  They put the car on the Dyno three
times (to keep the tests accurate, they used the same car three times:
once with the stock, then the dinan, then the authority chip).  The dyno
results confirmed what the felt subjectively when driving.

Gary
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Thunking Noise when shifting - E30 M3

At times, when I shift from one gear to another on an 89 E30 M3, I hear
a thunking noise which seems like it's coming from rear of the car or the
transmission.  Is this an indication of anything, like the throwout bearing
needing to replaced? Or is this normal on an E30 M3? Anyone experienced the
same noise on their M3's?

Gary
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: 60-80MPH times - E30 M3

Tonight, I did the 60-80MPH test again, but this time, I started at 55 MPH and
accelerated to 80.  I only timed the needle going from 60-80MPH.

I got a bit better times that way:

60=80 (3rd gear): 4.0 sec
60=80 (4rd gear): 6.0 sec
60=80 (5rd gear): 9.0 sec

Error: +/- .5 seconds due to manual timing methods.

When I get my chip, I'll compare my times.

80-120MPH times:
According to the M3 Tech Newsletter I have published around 1989, the M3 is
faster than the Saleen Mustang from 80-120MPH!   Anyone want to make a few
80-120MPH runs? :)

Gary