[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Brake related questions

On Dec 14,  2:03pm, owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided wrote:
 > From: Dwayne Paschall <paschall@domain.elided>
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 11:33:23 -0600
> Subject: Brake related questions
>
> I have a few quetions about changing brake pads. It's been so long since the
> last time I changed them, I've forgotten much of what I learned. First,
Bently
> recommends replacing the "caliper mounting bolts".  But when I went to the
> local dealer parts counter this morning, they (both dealers) looked at me
like
> I was seriously nuts. So, do these bolts ACTUALY need to be replaced when
> changing pads, or can they be reused?

	I believe the could be reused, I have never encountered any problems
reusing my caliper bolts... but then again this was a Toyota not a Brit car.
 The caliper bolts should be made of a decent grade of steel.  Just make sure
you torque it down properly.  If all that you really need is probably some blue
loctite.

> Also, when I ordered new shoes for the rear drum brakes on my 1985 318i
> (original BMW shoes), the box also contained a small bottle of. . .
something.
> The bottle is blue and contains a grey paste- like substance. On the outside
> of the bottle are the words "befettungspunkte"  and also "Speziafett". What
> the devil is this stuff for anyway? And why in the world would I want to
> befettungspunkte my brake drums?

	Hmmm... that word "spunkte"... sounds more like spooge to me
*hahahaha*.
But a grey spooge.  Well, is it a grey/silver spooge/compund?  If it is... my
suspicions is that it is an antiseize compound but other than that I would have
suspected it to be an antisqueal compound usually associated with disk brakes.
 Does anyone really know what this mystery spooge is...  I could certainly use
some enlightenment.

Hastas,
Allan Chen
Silicon Graphics Inc.