[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gear shifting problems

Dear CJ:

My '84 318i started demonstrating the same 2nd gear grinding you
described when it had about 138k miles on it.  When I start out
of the driveway in the morning, I must be extremely careful
shifting into 2nd to avoid grinding the gears.  The problem goes
away once the car travels a few miles.  The car now has 155k on
it and the problem has not gotten any worse, perhaps because I
have been especially careful during shifting.

Although I know next to nothing about transmissions, other than
how to change a clutch, I would guess that the 2nd gear synchro
is worn or damaged.  I'm pretty sure that I caused the problem in
my car by "getting rubber" during 1st to 2nd gear shifts. (Shame
on me!  Ok, I guess I'm a redneck, I'm sure no one else on this
list would abuse their BMW in such a manner.  HA!)  Since my
diagnosis is a guess, I would like to hear what the BMW gurus on
the list think.

As long as my transmission doesn't get any worse, I don't plan on
correcting the problem.

Happy Holidays,

Jay