[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V2 #144

> From: lung@domain.elided (Aaron Lung)
> Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 14:15:50 PST
> Subject: Help!  Nationwide Insurance trying to rip me off???

> I know this doesn't necessarily deal with BMWs in general,
> but any help would be greatly appreciated.

	Even a damaged one count... I'm not a thorough one at Bimmers but I'm
familiar with cars in general.

> Last Thursday, a bigrig truck decided to change freeway lanes into
> our 88 528e while my wife was going to work.  In doing so, the
> truck's front wheel hub ground itself across the rear driverside
> door and into the front.  My wife is A-OK, just real shaken up that
> day.

	So primarily two doors were damaged... no quarter-panels or fenders
were involved.  This is a relatively simple job to do.  Insist on new doors, no
reskinning the doors or bondo should be involved.  Be adamant about it since
you are paying for the policy.

> Unfortunately, no witnesses bothered to stop and make a
> statement, including the guy driving behind my wife who almost
> got whacked as well.  The trucker guy lied through his teeth on the
> police report saying my wife drove into him.  So until the
> insurance companies decide that it was his fault, we've got to
> deal with this through our insurance coverage.

	Don't be taken by a reckless, ignoramous of a truck driver.  Fight it
if you have to.  In short... kick his ass, legally that is.

> I've already gotten 2 quotes from a dealer recommended body shop
> and another reputable shop that specializes in BMW repair. Both are
> approximately $2300 based on using brand new factory doors.  My
> Nationwide Insurance's quote is a tad under $1200 using 'quality
> recycled parts'

	Insist on genuine... like the way you would with genuine Toyota parts.
 Accept no less.

> Questions:
>
> What the hell is a 'quality recycled part'?  Something
> from a junkyard?  Not acceptable.

	It sounds like a thing with a salvage yard.  Definitely, I seen your
car... not acceptable.

> Is it customary to repaint the entire side of the car just
> to redo the doors?

	Your car is just a basic schwartz... it should be easy to blend it.
 Thank goodness it's not a diamond black or anything metallic.  Those metallics
are such a total pain in the butt to match.  So Gary... beware of any M3
deflowerers.

> Anything I should know to get these idiots at Nationwide to
> get in line with what everyone else charges and use real parts
> before I give them a call back?

	Stand firm with your ideals on insisting on genuine BMW parts.

> According to the dude at one of the shops, BMW does not supply
> door skins by themselves.  They only supply brand new door shells.
> That means 2 brand new door assemblies.  That's fine with me.

	Make sure they are new and not from a salvage yard.

> I'm considering another insurance company after this.  Needless
> to say, I'm a bit irate about this entire incident.

	Email me.  I just hooked up with a insurance guy that gave me some
resonable quotes for the E30 M3's.

> Another thing...I'm impressed with the thickness of the sheetmetal
> and the amount of damage the doors took without being shredded
> by the truck's lugnuts.  Had this been my toyota, the doors
> probably would have been literally ground into shreds.

	As you mentioned... nothing like German sheetmetal.

Latas,
Allan Chen
Silicon Graphics Inc.
Mountain View, CA