[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Locking lug nuts

>Now, a story related to tires/wheels:
> No problem taking off the lugs, but I had one hell
>of a time with the locking McGuard lugs!

I've got McGuards on my Blazer, and they stink.  Cheeply made and
poorly designed, they are hard to use with hand tools and the key
falls apart with impact wrenches (as shops love to use on them).

For my 'iX I tried a pair of locking nuts from Bavarian and I'm
VERY happy with them.  The head of the lug is circular with half
round channels running all the way down the outside.  They key fits
completely around the lug and has matching channels with pins in
them, so that half the diameter of the pin slids into the channel on
the lug (follow that?!  My complements if you did ;-)

The result is that the mating surface between the lug and the key is
long and strong, there is really no way it can slip.  There is no
way they key or the lug can fail under force in such a way that you
can't get the lug out (short of completely breaking, but both the lug
and the key are machined so that is unlikely)  Best design I've seen.
They key also stays on well, so it's easy to use with the stock
wrench.

I don't have the name with me, but if anyone is curious I'll dig it
out.

FWIW,
rick
'87 325es