[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Brake related questions

I have a few quetions about changing brake pads. It's been so long since the
last time I changed them, I've forgotten much of what I learned. First, Bently
recommends replacing the "caliper mounting bolts".  But when I went to the
local dealer parts counter this morning, they (both dealers) looked at me like
I was seriously nuts. So, do these bolts ACTUALY need to be replaced when
changing pads, or can they be reused? Also, when I ordered new shoes for the
rear drum brakes on my 1985 318i (original BMW shoes), the box also contained
a small bottle of. . . something. The bottle is blue and contains a grey paste-
like substance. On the outside of the bottle are the words "befettungspunkte"
and also "Speziafett". What the devil is this stuff for anyway? And why in the
world would I want to befettungspunkte my brake drums?

Best wishes,
Dwayne Paschall
paschall@domain.elided

     (