[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Steel Wheel Hub Caps

>I have an '85 325e with 14X7 steel wheels that I use for winter.
>I would like to get some hub caps for the wheels, but I don't want the
>$5- plastic jobs that the dealer sells...
>Any help is appreciated.

I put steel wheels on my 'iX for the winter, and didn't want
full hubcaps.  It turns out BMW sells a small center cap that is
about 3" across by 1.5" tall, nicely made chrome plated steel with
the Roundel in the center. It is supposed to snap onto some wheels,
I think.  It doesn't snap onto the 'iX steel wheels (which I believe
are identical in the center section to other E30 steel wheels), but
the lug nuts fit over the wide flange at the bottom and hold it
on very nicely as I've tried to draw here:

                        Roundel

                     |---------------|
                     |               |
            ______   |               |   ______
           | Lug  |  |    Center     |  | Lug  |
           | Nut  |  |     Cap       |  | Nut  |
           |______|  |               |  |______|
           \      /__|               |__\      /
            \    /|_____________________|\    /
   __________|__|__/                   \__|__|___________
             |  |         Wheel           |  |

There is a small gap between the cap and the wheel.  The cap doesn't
rattle, it's held firmly, but water and dirt can get into the hub
nut, so I filled the cap with a block of rigid foam which presses
against the wheel and seals it.

All in all it works really well, and looks sharp (IMHO), especially
with black wheels and lug nuts.

The part number for the caps is 036 13 1 127 230.  I think they ran
about $7.00 each (with the club discount at Hendrick BMW).

enjoy,
rick
'87 325es
'90 325iX