From: srmac1@domain.elided
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 94 02:18:39 +1100
Subject: Bel Radar Detector going nuts in BMW

I remember reading a while back about people using Bel Radar Detectors in
BMWs which just go nuts.  Coming back to their cars and finding their Bel
bleeping laser and Ka? warnings.

I regularly using my illegal Bel 645STI+ in a Toyota and 3 series with only
one unexplained false alert while on a country road with no cars in sight
while I hungup the mobile phone (analogue) and gave a weak 2 second Ka a
lert (only 3 Ka radar units in the country and there on the other side
of the country), but otherwise has worked perfectly.  This hasnt happened
before or since, but do car phones screw around with RDs?

Putting the 645 in the 540i opon start up it went sick with about
20+ seconds of laser alerts. We feel it could of been from the security
system in the car?  Australian top line bimmers for the past year or 2
come with a infa-red transmitting alarm system as standard (including the
M3 with the 286 bhp engine, mmmmm), is this what comes with US models?
The transmitter which is in the key sets off a Laser alert if shot at the
645, but does the alarm also transmit to the key/transmitter?
If so, why when the ignition is turned on?

Anyone have this same problem?

- - --
Stuart MacKenzie
92 318is
93 540i                Well their half mine!
91 Toyota Camry!  - Alpine - Phoenix Gold - MTX -
Really rocks, soon to go.

Dr. Page O. Stoutland
Chemical Science and Technology Division
Mail Stop J-567
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, NM  87545

(505) 665-4692 (tel)