[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cold Start 320i

On Fri, 9 Dec 1994 owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided wrote:

> From: chrisp@domain.elided (Christopher A. Pawlowicz)

{stuff deleted}

> This morning the temperature was around -10C (uhh.. 15F ?) and when
> I went to start the car nothing happened for a few seconds.
>
> I turned the key to 'start' and nothing happened. Then a few seconds later
> it started cranking.
>
> Is it just a relay that is old and tired ? I left my Haynes and my Bosch
> books at home so I'll have to check them later.

This was the first sign in my 320i that the ignition switch was going
bad.  It eventually got so bad the car would rarely crank on the first
try and I would have to jiggle the key to get it to work at all.

Walt Barie (wgbst4+@domain.elided, barie+@domain.elided)
Graduate Student
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh

'79 320i DSP Solo II car
'80 528i

Of course what I say in no way reflects the views of the University....